Changes made for 1.25: THIS IS THE LAST DMANDEL RELEASE
- Fixed a bug in the printer setup which failed to calculate
the dimensions correctly sometimes.
If DMandel isn't able to launch itself, even without startup picture, make
sure that the system is able to open a HALFBRITE screen on the default
monitor. This means that *you might have to disable some buggy
screen promotor programs* that might have re-directed this MODE_ID to a
non-working mode ID.
You may adjust the screen mode to whatever you like by re-generating the
startup picture with the included ARexx script.
Changes made for 1.24:
- Added an "CPU Fill" setting. With this flag enabled, the
"edge tracing" algorithm will no longer make use of the blitter
for filling areas, but will make use of the CPU. This has the
advantage that no chip memory has to be used and the size of the
screen is no longer limited by the amount of chip mem.
However, this setting works only on NON-NATIVE (i.e. P96 or CGfx)
screens, DMandel will ignore the flag on native amiga screens.
- Reworked the IFF loader/saver slightly.
- Fixed a tiny bug in the task priority menu.
Changes made for 1.23:
- Forgot to save the "Huge" and "Gigantic" font settings.
- Added more functions to the color selector.
Changes made for 1.21:
- Debugged the IFF saving routine that could crash if the display
lines are too long.
- Fixed the color load routine, apparently RTG software doesn't
handle LoadRGBCM() like calls the way I thought.
- This is the first version with tested RTG support; the screen
depth is currently limited to 8 bit planes because OpenScreen()
does not work as expected for larger depths. Future releases
might support more.
Changes made for 1.20:
- Replaced the IFF loading/saving routines by the gfx board friendly
stuff of the "sister program" VideoEasel. Most operations should
work fine with a gfx board, probably with one exception I can't
- Updated printer support. It does no longer set the colors of the
screen but uses an internal copy.
- Added a check for the '060 processor for the "suggest" button.
The plain 68K integer routines should be better for the '060 since
they don't require any software emulation.
- Rewrote the memory management. "DMandel" uses now memory pools.
- Removed an enforcer hit in the "RXMENU" command.
- Just a couple of tiny optimizations in the startup and other
Yes, I know that there are more than enough mandelbrot fractal generators
in the net, really... If you want some reasons why to use this program, here
- Three algorithms for Mandelbrot sets, six for Julia sets.
- Six different math implementations (IEEE single/double,FFP,
fast-integers for '000 and '020 and FPU) for optimal speed,
written in hand-tooled assembly language.
- Highest speed, optimized for big magnifications.
- ARexx support (Sample Mandelbrot movie generator script for
movie generation together with DPaint V included.)
- Monitor ID support, but untested on GfxBoards.
- Supports EHB for 64 colors on ECS machines.
- Last but not least: It's free.
At least, the program is free. The guide isn't...
The guide is not yet existing, I will start typing it as soon as somebody is
interested and wants to pay money for it. Write an email to this address:
The suggested price for the manual will be between $10 and $20.
A sample set of EHB pictures generated by DMandel is available, see
DMandelPics.lha at pix/fract.
-Unpack this archive whereever you want.
-If you're still working with the original CBM mathieeedoubbas
library, a patch is needed since this library is broken.
(The compare-function is broken for negative numbers of
small absolute value).
The patch is included in the "MathIEEEPatch" drawer, installation
works like this:
1) Copy the file LIBS:mathieeedoubbas.library to RAM:
2) Copy the file mathieeedoubbas.pch, which comes with this archive,
3) Copy the program spatch, which is also included in this archive,
4) Change the directory to ram: with
5) Apply the patch with
6) Copy back the file RAM:mathieeedoubbas.new to
LIBS:mathieeedoubbas.library. It contains the fixed library.
If any problems arise, make sure you use the original (CBM) version
of the library!
How to install the main program:
-Start DMandel by double clicking its icon.
-Read the startup window. Close it by clicking on "O.K."
-Select the menu point "Arexx Command" of the project menu.
-Select the script "CreateStartup.rexx"
-Follow the instructions.
The THOR-Software Licence
This License applies to the computer programs known as "Deluxe Mandelbrot".
The "Program", below, refers to such program.
The programs and files in this distribution are freely distributable
under the restrictions stated below, but are also Copyright (c)
Distribution of the Program by a commercial organization without written
permission from the author to any third party is prohibited if any payment
is made in connection with such distribution, whether directly
(as in payment for a copy of the Program) or indirectly (as in payment
for some service related to the Program, or payment for some product
or service that includes a copy of the Program "without charge";
these are only examples, and not an exhaustive enumeration of prohibited
activities). However, the following methods of distribution involving
payment shall not in and of themselves be a violation of this restriction:
(i) Posting the Program on a public access information storage and
retrieval service for which a fee is received for retrieving information
(such as an on-line service), provided that the fee is not
content-dependent (i.e., the fee would be the same for retrieving the same
volume of information consisting of random data).
(ii) Distributing the Program on a CD-ROM, provided that the files
containing the Program are reproduced entirely and verbatim on such
CD-ROM, and provided further that all information on such CD-ROM be
redistributable for non-commercial purposes without charge.
Everything in this distribution must be kept together, in original
and unmodified form.
THE PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS IS," WITHOUT WARRANTY. THERE IS NO
WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT
LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A
PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS. THE ENTIRE
RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD
THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY
SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION.
IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THIS LICENCE, YOU MUST DELETE ALL FILES CONTAINED IN