This programme is supplied fully functional.
It is NOT disabled or "crippled" IN ANY WAY.
Scion Genealogist is a specialised database for keeping track of
genealogical information. It features a full, easy to use, Intuition
interface. Scion v5 is a MAJOR upgrade to earlier versions.
The programme has been written in a totally secular manner, has no
checking on sex (to allow for "unconventional" relationships), and has no
name checking (to allow for adopted children).
The printed reports include descendant and pedigree charts, personal details
reports, family group sheets, index lists of people and families, and many
others. See the "Scion.guide" help file for details on the new reports.
Free-form note files can be created and viewed, IFF-ILBM pictures can be
viewed, and IFF-8SVX sound files can be played - all from within the
Other features include dynamic on-screen ancestor and descendant charts,
extensive on-line context-sensitive help, powerful searching and filtering,
and multiple ARexx ports with an extensive command set (see "ScionRexx.Guide"
for further information).
Locale support for alternative languages.
Can be used with PAL or NTSC and third-party graphics cards. Works with
floppy and/or hard disk drives, although a hard disk drive is STRONGLY
Database stored in RAM for maximum speed. Memory usage typically 50% less
than earlier versions of Scion.
Loads databases created with any earlier version of Scion or "ArJay
Maximum number of people per database = limited only by available memory
Maximum number of families per database = limited only by available memory
Maximum number of marriages per person = 10
Maximum number of children per family group = 40
A minimum of 1 Mbyte of RAM is required. 4 Mbytes of RAM is recommended.
Scion will use any "virtual" memory allocated by virtual memory managers such
as GigaMem (© Copyright 1991,1992 Christian A Schnedier, F Burgel, Relog AG)
and VMM (© Copyright 1994 Martin Apel).
Kickstart/Workbench v2.04 (or later) required. Version 2.10 (or later)
required for locale support (alternative languages).
Any preferences supported printer.
NEW FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH SCION V5.08
* Marriages of a person are now sorted by marriage/engagement order.
* In selection lists with filtering, a new number gadget shows the
number of people/families currently being displayed.
* A small coloured indicator has been added beneath the sex gadget to
reflect the currect sex. Makes the current sex a little more obvious.
* Additional locale support for Italiano, Français and Polski (as well as the
original Nederlands, Deutsch, Türkçe and Norsk and English).
* Scion can now open its windows on the Workbench (or default public screen).
* New Arexx GETISDEAD command.
* Bug fixes -
- The ARexx command GETTXTVIEWER was returning the PIX viewer. Fixed.
- Sort orders could be wrong for foreign languages. Fixed.
- Print-to-file file requesters were always displaying "Print to
plain text file" even for RTF/HTML/etc files. Fixed.
- If the right margin of printed reports was equal to the left
margin, Scion could crash. Fixed.
* Support added for 'special' Turkish, Czech and Russian character sets.
* Some (mainly cosmetic) minor changes.
NEW FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH SCION V5.07
* New "Print to File" formats -
Reports can now be saved to file in the following formats:
- plain ASCII text
- ANSI text
- RTF (Rich Text Format)
- HTML (HyperText Markup Language)
* New "List of Relatives" report.
* Locale support for Deutsch, Türkçe and Norsk (as well as the original
Nederlands and English).
* Bug fixes -
- When querying a blood relationship, an 'Aunt' was being reported
as a 'GrandAunt'. Fixed.
- 'Sex' of people in printed reports was not being localised. Fixed.
- With some non-English translations, the 'Ctrl' key modifier in the
Function Key requester could overlap the gadget. Fixed.
- A few OS 3.1+ Amigas would not recognize changes to the Workbench
printer preferences while Scion was running. Fixed.
- If the Scion screen was 'promoted' to have more than 8 colours,
the "Custom" palette requester would not appear. Fixed.
- Because the Turkish language uses a "non-standard" character set,
the "quick help" in the bottom line of the windows was displaying
incorrect characters when a Turkish locale was used. Fixed.
- With OS3+, the menus of "multi-selection" requesters would not
have displayed properly (never reported!). Fixed.
- Not a bug - I simply forgot! Last name 'pick lists' are now
saved with the database and restored on loading.
* Some (mainly cosmetic) minor changes
NEW FEATURES INTRODUCED WITH SCION V5.06
* A total re-design virtually from the ground up. But still backward
compatible with all earlier versions of Scion. Just load your
* Completely new appearance with fully font-adaptive display.
* Much more memory efficient (typically 50% less than earlier versions).
* Number of people/families now only limited by available memory.
* Many more ARexx commands.
* Up to 40 user-defined function keys.
* Improved date handling.
* New and revised printouts.
* Very powerful searching and filtering.
* Asynchronous on-line help -
The on-line "Amigaguide" help is now asynchronous. This means that
you can continue using Scion while the help file is still being
* Attachments -
Notes, pictures or sound-files can now be "attached" to any person
or family group. Note attachments can be (optionally) printed
with "Personal Summary" or "Family Group Sheet" reports.
* Relationship determination -
There is a new menu option that lets you query the blood
relationship between any two people.
* In-built image viewer, text viewer and sound file player.
FREEWARE, although any donation gratefully received :-)
Scion Genealogist © Copyright 1993-1999 Robbie J Akins, NEW ZEALAND.