Tubexx is an ARexx script that enables the fruition of youtube.com
contents on your MorphOS machine.
Youtube.com is a video storage, where anybody can upload his own
videos and share them with every Internet user in the world.
Its main interface is web based, but video playback is handled via
a Flash applet, thus impossible to enjoy directly with the MorphOS
technologies currently available.
This is where Tubexx comes in handy, enabling you to search, download,
convert and play your favourite videos.
The main Tubexx features are:
- various search modes managed through the YouTube GData API calls
- possibility to receive standard feeds localized for different countries
- possibility to use an URL as a direct reference
- result browser that formats the results nicely and handles frames
- support of video description, and possibility to use URLs found there
- a preferred video format can be set, including 3GP, FLV (SQ or larger)
and MP4 (HQ or HD)
- support of video streaming with user definable cache size
- video download and archived video manager
- it is possible to convert videos into standard formats for common DVD
- it is possible to suggest a video via email
- integrated automatic check and download of program updates
- all functions are accessible via MUI4 GUI
- Youtube has changed again data layout! Yet another name change for the
keywords so even today it was necessary to modify Tubexx accordingly.
- Works with the new 'watch?v=' page layout.
Because of my unorthodox handling of localization strings, german and
french catalog (and others if any) are not to be used for this version
until an update of them (otherwise some strings may appear in a wrong
place...). I apologize for the inconvenience.
- Fixed streaming/downloading recent issue.
- Improved management of configuration data:
- Optimized MUI gadgets attributes setting when Tubexx opens (faster?).
- Tubexx no longer rewrites all configuration data on exit, but only
those actually changed.
- To speed up the initial configuration, external tools found in the
system path are automatically placed in their respective fields now.
- Redesigned the configuration panel layout:
- Users of the e-mail client YAM now have a field where to enter the
direct path to the executable so they can finally remove the 'YAM:'
assignment from their user-startup (if present at Tubexx use only).
The 'Mail' button will remain enabled even when the optional YAM field
is left empty because, in this case, the e-mail message body may still
be generated in the clipboard and then be manually pasted into the
preferred e-mail client.
- Added countries selector. Now the contents of the standard-feeds are
reported with relevance to the specified country.
- Added selector for the favorite video streaming format.
If the chosen format is sometime not available, Tubexx automatically
fall back to the standard one but the setting will remain valid for
the next video you want to watch.
- Additions made to the MPlayer section:
- Switch for the MPlayer embedded GUI.
- The player window size can also be set for the half of the video
resolution now (useful for HD videos).
- Added 'never show' for the time counter OSD
- Doubled from 8 to 16 MB the max value that can be set for caching
streams and added control over the percentage of cache preload.
This way we can set a large cache ammount without suffering long
delays before playback begins.
- Added 'framedrop' switch.
- The 'autosync' factor for the automatic compensation of audio/video
synchronization can now be adjusted.
- Added access to more standard-feeds.
Tubexx now also receives <Most recent>, <Most popular>, <Most discussed>,
<Most responded> and <Top favorites> rankings.
- Now a double-click on any list starts to stream/play the titles.
- Completely rewrote the listviews management for the local files.
There is no more systematical refresh every time a list is brought to the
foreground; the annoying, involuntary de-activation of the selected titles
(with consequent preview frame dropping) so far had is now replaced by an
smart management that operates only when refresh is necessary and that
also auto re-enable the current selection, when appropriate. (...)
- Fixed the snapshot function that extracts a preview frame from the
selected local file.
- Fixed down video re-encoding procedure to both AVI and MPEG.
- Fixed an error in calculating the video duration and changed the
representation string from "hh:mm:ss" to "0h 0m 0s".
- Fixed the function that checks for Tubexx updates.
- ...many other minor tweaks, too many insurmountable obstacles (...) and
some touch of fluorescent blue paint to get rid of the ordinary gray! ;-D
- Fixed connection failure (when checking remote server location).
- Fixed the broken FLV link redirection.
- Today YouTube has restructured his API feeds: transformation stylesheet
modified to match the changed namespace order.
- Improved the parsing method applied to the video URLs schemes.
- Added UTF-8 (Unicode codepage) support. (Requires rmh.library v23.3+ and
- Today the URL schemes for FLV files have been modified by YouTube: Tubexx
now works again!
- Very wide rewrite, principally in order to support the new GData API and
- The dedicated web site, in english, has been opened.
- First version published, based on the Legacy API and italian interface