This music player enables OS4 users to play the following music and sound
MP3, MOD, IT, S3M, XM, WAV, VOC, OGG, MIDI
It was written using the Music functions that are built-in to SDL_Mixer
(which is part of Simple Direct Media Layer). There is no function to query
the length of songs, so I unable to insert a position slider gadget. Sorry
about that guys.
You can run SimplePlay with no options and it will open a GUI, or you can
run it in shell with a song name as the first argument and it will play that
one song. Control+C will abort playback.
I have added a "Jump function". Hit RAmiga+J to bring up the Jump Window,
or select it from the Pull down menu, and then type some characters of the
song you want to play. It will build a list as you type. You can use the
cursor keys or the mouse to get to the song you want, and hit enter or double
click on it to play. Fast easy way to find songs in a large collection.
- Removed recursive dir opening due to being buggy
- Compiled with the latest SDL which fixes a crash bug under the debug
kernel when quitting SimplePlay
- Fixed error with clearing the Jump Find window under the debug kernel
- Clicking on a entry in your playlist while playing music back will make
that entry be played next on the list. (This works in normal and shuffle
playback modes, but not Repeat)
- MUI custom classes that arent used are now hidden in "MUI Settings"
- Whoops, I broke the playlist!
- "Open directory" now operates recursively, adding all subdirs inside as well
- Fixed up some potential crashes
- Shuffle and Repeat playing modes added.
- Bugfix: after a playing a song located using Jump Find, it plays the next
song in the list now.
- Song name and Elapsed time is now displayed
- Fixed a playlist bug. It was adding the termination character to text
strings about one character too far. So playlists were able to be
corrupted after loading and saving sometimes.
- Jump find has been improved slightly. Converts _ into spaces internally
when searching for songs.
So for example the song "Christina_Vidal_-_Take_Me_Away.mp3" can be found
if you type in the words "take me away"
- The default icon priority is now higher to help prevent playback
stuttering e.g. when accessing menus and scrolling in aweb.
*** MIDI FILES -- Updated docs, 12th May 2007 ***
My old MIDI docs are obselete. Heres the low down on how to play MIDI Files
with the most recent versions of SimplePlay.
You need to download the TIMIDITY package here (14MB or so):
Or if that download link doesnt work for you, or you need a link to right click
"save as" on, go to:
scroll down to the Timidity paragraph where it says: A freely redistributable
set of GUS compatible patches: timidity.tar.gz -- then download that.
Extract the archive to a temporary folder such as RAM:
then copy the contents of the "timidity/" folder to your simpleplay folder..
note: you do NOT keep the root "timidity/" folder in your copy. For example:
copy #? work:audio/simpleplay/ all
(except, you put your real path to simpleplay)
Now type this assign in shell, and add it to your s:user-startup:
assign TIMIDITY: work:audio/simpleplay/
(again, put your real path to simpleplay, "work:audio/simpleplay/" is just an
This setup is only neccesary for if you want to play MIDI files.