GlowIcons version 0.2a
by Matt Chaput (mchaputaw.sgi.com)
VISIT THE WORKBENCH CUSTOMIZATION PAGE ON THE WEB
For the latest versions of the GlowIcons, application
graphics, backdrops, sounds, fonts, and more.
***Please read the legal notice at the end of this document!***
WHAT IS IT?
- Initial set of NewIcons and application graphics done
in a realistic, gradient style (as much as possible
given the NewIcons palette).
- Approx. 190 icons and graphics (including new graphics/
toolbar replacements for YAM, MUI, and iBrowse).
- More realistic style, as opposed to standard cartoony
icons. Inspired by Keith Ohlfs' work on the NeXT icons.
- *CLEAR* difference between the selected and unselected
versions of the icon (some MWB/NI icon sets change only
a few pixels, making it hard to tell when an icon is
This is the famous GLOW EFFECT(tm)! :-)
- Hand-drawn (no dithered scans), hand-anti-aliased.
- Color gradients, soft shadows.
- Professional design. (No, really! I'm a professional
- They glow!
WHY VERSION 0.2?
- These are the icons *I* needed on *my* system. As a
result there are significant gaps (for example, no icons
- I'm reserving version 1.0 for when I have at least a
full replacement for the original Workbench icons.
- Full Workbench replacement.
- Installer script.
- More common applications and datatypes.
- More animation between selected and unselected.
- More containers (folders, drawers, disks) corresponding
to the major datatypes.
LATEST VERSION, MORE INFORMATION
Visit the Workbench Customization Page on the web at:
I get a *lot* of mail each day at work, so if you want
to write to me, please put "GLOWICONS:" at the beginning
of the subject.
Write to me at
The GlowIcons icon set, the Workbench Customization page
backdrops, and the Application Graphics kits are (c)
Copyright 1998 by Matt Chaput.
The Workbench Customization Page software is
You can use the GlowIcons, backdrops, and Application
Graphics provided in this archive provided you comply
with the following restrictions:
- In the following, "the archive" or "the archives"
refers to one or more of the GlowIcons archive,
the Workbench Customization Page backdrops archive, or
the WCP Application Graphics archive, created by
- You can only distribute the archive(s) as a complete
package. You may not remove or add any files to
- You are not allowed to manipulate any file in the
archive(s) and distribute it under any or no name.
You may manipulate any part of an archive for your
private use, but you may NOT distribute the modified
- If you wish to include part of an archive in a
commercial program or commercial distribution scheme
(such as a coverdisk or commercial "PD" library),
with a commercial or shareware product, or use the
contents in any other medium (such as a website),
you must obtain permission from the author
(Matt Chaput) first.
- By using any part of the archive, you acknowledge
that you understand and agree to these conditions.
0.2a First Aminet release. Basically, fixed
a few things in the readme file.
0.2 First public release (on Web page).
0.1 First internal "release".